Honestly, I’m really only interested in soulmate AUs with alternative plots.
I don’t really care about person A and person B who have each other’s names on their wrists and find each other and live happily ever after. I care about a culture where people don’t bother forming romantic relationships with anyone other than their soulmate, where they finally find their soulmate and realize they don’t know how to handle the ups and downs of a relationship.
I care about people who fall in love with someone who isn’t their soulmate and aren’t willing to leave.
I care about queer people who are outed by the names on their arms, about trans people who spend their whole lives worrying that their birth name will be on their soulmate’s arm, then sobbing in relief when it’s not.
I care about people in poly relationships and how that looks.
I care about asexual aromantic people who have a name anyway and wonder if they’re broken or if it’s the platonic soulmate they’ve always wanted.
I care about people who Google their soulmate and are disappointed by what they find. I care about the private detective agencies that rake in cash to help people find their soulmates. I care about the ways non-soulmate couples are discriminated against, from disapproving grandmas to insurance companies that won’t insure someone’s spouse unless they’re their soulmate. I care about teenagers who are devastated that their celebrity crush isn’t their soulmate and what happens when the media discovers a young, unknown person whose soulmate is hugely famous.
I care about the people who never meet their soulmates, whose soulmates died young, whose soulmates have another name on their arms.
I care about the ways that this is a broken system, how it fucks people up, how it doesn’t guarantee a happy ending and how people find their happy endings anyway.
- What makes your character angry?
- What makes your character happy?
- What makes your character sad?
- What makes your character nostalgic?
- What makes your character nervous?
- What makes your character pensive?
- What makes your character excited?
- What makes your character puzzled?
- What makes your character annoyed?
- What makes your character lustful?
- What makes your character disgusted?
- What makes your character afraid?
- What makes your character brave?
- What makes your character ashamed?
- What makes your character hopeful?
- What makes your character relaxed?
- What makes your character violent?
- What makes your character spiteful?
- What makes your character indignant?
- What makes your character cautious?
- What makes your character apathetic?
- What makes your character curious?
Someone bursts into the room and lays a great big snog on your character.
1) Who is this person, 2) How does your character respond?
Serendipity (names, places, mapbuilding, etc.)
Quick Story Idea
Full Story Idea
really just all of Seventh Sanctum
Fantasy Story Situaton
Chaotic Shiny is just really good in general
“Layers” Character Meme
LAYER ONE : THE OUTSIDE
- Eye Color:
- Hair Style/Color:
- Clothing Style:
- Best Physical Feature:
LAYER TWO: THE INSIDE
- Your Fears:
- Your Guilty Pleasure:
- Your Biggest Pet Peeve:
- Your Ambition for the Future:
- LAYER THREE: THOUGHTS
- Your First Thoughts Waking Up:
- What You Think About the Most:
- What You Think About Before Bed:
- You Think Your Best Quality Is:
LAYER FOUR: WHAT’S BETTER?
- Single or Group Dates:
- To be Loved or Respected:
- Beauty or Brains:
- Dogs or Cats:
LAYER FIVE: DO YOU?
- Believe in Yourself:
- Believe in Love:
- Want Someone:
LAYER SIX: EVER?
- Been on Stage:
- Done Drugs:
- Changed Who You Were to Fit In:
LAYER SEVEN: FAVORITES
- Favorite Color:
- Favorite Animal:
- Favorite Movie:
- Favorite Game:
LAYER EIGHT: AGE
- Day Your Next Birthday Will Be:
- How Old Will You Be:
- Age You Lost Your Virginity:
- Does Age Matter:
LAYER NINE: IN A BOY OR GIRL
- Best Personality:
- Best Eye Color:
- Best Hair Color:
- Best thing to do With a Partner:
LAYER TEN: FINISH THE SENTENCE
- I love:
- I feel:
- I hide:
- I miss:
- I wish:
Anonymous asked: Do you have posts regarding character names and how to create them? Or just the creative process that goes into picking the right name for you characters?
We sure do!
- Neil Gaiman’s advice for naming characters
- A dictionary of first and last names
- Character Names: Starting from Scratch
- A Random Trick for Naming Characters: Consider the Parents
- The Pokemon Rule of SciFi/Fantasy Names
- An Imaginative Exercise: What’s in a Name?
- Problems with Names and How to Avoid Them
Thank you for your question!
You don’t need to describe your character down to the finest detail; let your reader do some imagining of their own (they seem to enjoy that!) But there are a few character points that affect how they interact with their world which you can reveal through action.
- Height: Do they need to duck through doorways, or bend to speak to their friends? Do they struggle to reach the top shelf in the supermarket? The way they cope with these things reveal how they feel about their height. Do they compensate by wearing heels or by slouching?
- Weight: Do they easily slip through small spaces and crowds? Or do they avoid sitting on flimsy-looking furniture? Do they suffer backache from pulling their stomach in all day, or do they wear layers to try and look bulkier?
- Eyesight: How well can they see distances or read small print? Do they proudly wear glasses, do they go more subtle with contact lenses, or are they in complete denial?
- Smell: Do they douse themselves in perfume or do people shy away from their sweaty smell? Do they realise what they smell like, or are they oblivious?
- Walk: Does the way they walk make them stand out, or blend in with the crowd? Do they look ahead or walk looking at their feet? How big is their stride, how big are their feet, and how does this affect the way they move around their world?
These are all things that can be used to reveal character, impact plot and affect the setting.
Think about how happy your character is with their physical attributes. Do they hide them because they’ve suffered years of bullying, or are they proud of who they are and have little care for what others think?